Saturday, June 6, 2009

Grandma Walker

My Grandma, Verna Benson Walker, passed away on Thursday, May 28th, 2009. She was 81 years old. This woman has been a very important part of my life. I was lucky enough to live in the same town as her and see her nearly every day as I was growing up.

I had a special relationship with my Grandma that I will always cherish. She was an amazing Grandmother and always went out of her way to make me feel special.

After being away from "home" for 8 years, I was fortunate enough to spend more time with her when Kyle and I moved back to Lovell. I would take one or both of my girls to see her every day or two. I feel so blessed that we were able to spend this time with her and that Matty and Anastyn were able to get to know her and enjoy her also.

My Grandma will be missed by many, many people, including myself and my girls. I had the opportunity to give her Life History at her funeral. She was an amazing woman and I will always remember her example.

Here are some words that remind me of Grandma:

Homemade Pie, Fried Chicken, Kiddie Parades, Dress Ups, Sleepovers, Hollyhocks, Raspberry Jam, Fried Potatoes, Fancy Jell-O Pudding Cups, Walker Bears, Country Bunnies, Bandana Skirts, Costumes, Asparagus Hunting, Trips to the Grocery Store with her Coin Purse, Birdhouses, Miniature Shoe Collections, The Picture Room, Books, Grandma Benson Cookies, French Braids, and Rocking Chairs.

I Love You, Grandma! God Be With You 'Till We Meet Again!

3 comments:

Shawnee said...

Catherine, you did an amazing job of her life history at the funeral. I was in tears, and I hardly knew her. I could feel of her love through you. Kyle did great, as well.

Stacey said...

I had no idea you lost your dear grandmother. I am so sorry for your loss. You are in my thoughts!

Jaime said...

Hey Girl! I'm so sorry about your grandma. She was a very special lady and will be missed by all. I too have fond memories about her while growing up with you. Hang in there! Love ya!