Wednesday, November 5, 2008

That's Gotta Hurt!!

Kyle was unfortunate enough to have an experience with a kidney stone Monday. We've all heard it said that it is comparable to labor pains. What? Really? Yes, it is. In fact, as I stood in the ER watching Kyle writhing in agony, that is exactly what I was thinking...It was horrible. He woke up suddenly about 3:30 in the morning hurting. He was going to try to wait until 8:00 when the dr.'s office opened to avoid an er visit. But about 7:00 he couldn't wait any longer! The pain was so intense and he kept throwing up...I even had to pull over on the way to the hospital to let him throw up. At the er, they took blood work and a urine sample. They gave him shots in his hiney for the nausea and pain. 4 of them. Twice for the nausea and twice for the pain. After more vomiting and worries that Kyle might actually pass out from the level of pain he was experiencing, the dr. finally arrived, reviewed the lab results and examined him. He determined it was a kidney stone and informed us that it can take 24-48 hours to pass a stone...Excuse me? How long?? This was NOT what Kyle wanted to hear! So, with a prescription for some pain killers and dr's orders to "slam a six-pack of diet coke" (which supposedly helps with passing the stone) we were able to head for home. Poor guy did finally slip into a drug induced sleep thanks to a cocktail of ibuprofin, toradol, morphine, and lortab. This was an absolute nightmare for Kyle. We all felt extremely sorry for the poor man. It was awful watching him suffer like this. Thankfully, he passed the kidney stone the following morning.


Yes...it was quite comparable to labor pains...but instead of being rewarded with a sweet new baby all he had to show for it was a tiny little pebble-shockingly small to have inflicted such excruciating pain!! He is better today...went to work and everything. But we all hope and pray we don't ever have to experience a kidney stone again....EVER.

11 comments:

Kara said...

Oh my goodness! I so feel his pain! I've had kidney stones (yes plural) and they are almost the exact same pain if not a little worse than labor. Just for the fact that you stated. When you're done with labor pains, they're easy to forget when you look at your beautiful baby. Tell Kyle that I'm sorry, and I too will pray that he doesn't have to go through that again.

Brad and Kaci said...

Poor guy! So glad that he is feeling better!

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I feel his pain. I have at least one a year sometimes two. Labor is great compared to this, and the results after labor are much better. I hope all is well now.

Christina said...

Oh my gosh!! Poor guy! I hope that never happens to him again! I can't even imagine. Feel better Kyle!

Tiana Johnson said...

Alright, I have heard that drinking alot of soda can give you kidney stones, so if the Doctor told him to go drink more soda was that just for job security or to help.hahaha Hope your feeling better.
Hyrum

Cam, Linz and Cohen said...

Cam says to quit being a baby kyle and drink your coke. I say I am so sorry you had to go through that. Cohen is too. PS. Aniston still owes him a date. And it just so happens he's pretty fond of Minnie Mouse.

Laurel said...

Ooh, ugh and yuck! What a terrible experience. My friend called me one night and asked me to come over to stay with her kids while she took her husband to the ER. She was terrified and thought maybe he was have a heart attack or something, but it was the same thing: Kidney stones. She said it was the scariest experience seeing her husband in the throws of agony. Usually they are so tough! Glad he is feeling better, and tell him to drink A LOT of water.

nina said...

Oh poor kyle! I really feel for him. I've had a kidney infection before but not stones. I must say, having gone through labor... I thought that the kidney infection was worse.

nina said...

Oh by the way, on your list of other bloggers on the side of your page, how do you get it to show when someone posted?

danielandjamaica said...

All that and NO pictures? :)

Anonymous said...

Wow I feel sorry forya man. I sure hope I never have something like that. It is good to see how good your family is doing. Hold tight to them and never let them go. Take every day as the best day ever. Love your wife you never want to lose her. Take care all of ya and talk at ya soon.