Friday, October 23, 2009

Oh "Deer"

We have been cheated by Mother Nature. With fall being one of my favorite seasons, I have been quite disappointed this year. We had an early freeze and all the leaves dropped off the trees before they even had a chance to change color. I hate winter. Winter is no friend of mine. And the beautifulness (is that a word?) of fall buffers those depressing feelings that surface when I know winter is on its way. And so, unfortunately, we will crash into winter this year. Whatever - lets get it over with.

And with fall, naturally, comes hunting. Lots and lots of hunting. Hunting for elk and everyone else's elk. Hunting for deer and everyone else's deer. Hunting for pheasants. Hunting for mountain lion. Hunting, hunting, hunting. I hate hunting. However, my husband does not. My husband LOVES hunting. We don't see much of him during hunting season - and around these parts it seems like hunting season lasts pretty much all year. Exaggerating is one of my specialties.

He did finally get an elk. Even though he was disappointed with its size, I was quite pleased with it. It was just a spike. Hadn't had much of a life yet I suppose. But, it has provided us with some nice, young, tender meat. I like elk meat pretty well. We got a lot of steaks and roasts, jerky, and of course, a lot of hamburger. I have already started using it and its not too bad at all!! The best part about Kyle finally getting his elk is this - the terrible mountain man beard thing that he had going on is now gone!! Our deal was that he had to shave it off as soon as he got an elk! Yay for me - I cannot stand the feel of a beard on my face. Good riddance!

In my opinion, this next image is rather disturbing. Thank goodness I know that my husband is a good man - because he looks really creepy here. Did he just murder somebody in a fit of rage?? No - he just made the mistake of going hunting all alone, shooting an elk, and having to drag it back to his truck and lift it into the back of his truck all by himself. I suppose I would have a little bit of blood on me if I had to do such a thing. Which I never would. That is a situation I would never ever find myself in.
We (especially me) really lucked out this year when Kyle got his deer just a few days after the season opened. And Tyler got one too. And then a couple days later Brent got one. That just leaves Kaleb. Maybe, just maybe, Kaleb will get one this weekend and we will be DONE!!! That is unless Kyle's friends start asking him to go along with them to get their animals. Which usually happens. I think I (not Kyle) might start charging people for his services. A hunting widow's life is not easy, you know.
This fall we have also enjoyed watching Kaleb play football. It has been fun. The girls love to go to the games and cheer him on! Matty's favorite part is the popcorn. She can finish off a whole bag by herself - and she doesn't like to share it either!! So, here is a picture of our little Lovell Bulldog Football fans!!

11 comments:

Jem said...

Wow. That image was a little unsettling, with his beard and everything. We know hes a good guy though. Robb sure misses hunting. He hasnt been since we've moved. Im glad he got his elk.

Michelle Thompson said...

I feel for you on the winter thing! I hear it has been cold there! Jayson misses hunting with my dad and brothers. We live off of Elk meat. Luckily my dad and brothers have still been providing it for us every year. I wouldn't know what to do without. Congratualtions to Kyle on getting an elk and deer.

nina said...

Oh man. I feel your pain. I can just count on not seeing my husband anywhere from now until February. And I agree Kyle did look pretty scary!

Anna said...

Wow that picture was nasty! We are not hunters so I don't know what it is like, good luck. That is a cute picture of your girls in their sweatshirts. Hope you guys are doing well, we miss you.

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Okay..so my husband doesn't hunt, so I can't relate at all but he does fish;)I'm so glad he isn't a hunter. I have so many friends here in Vernal that have been single the last couple weeks;)
The girls look so cute in their Bulldog attire. GOOOOO Dogs!!!!

Kristin said...

Nice! Eli was so bummed he couldn't get there!! I think he told Kyle to go get it for him! :) I told him to just go this next week. :) I agree, there is no end to hunting! Just glad Eli doesn't do it often!!! :)

danielandjamaica said...

Your little cheerleaders are too cute. I can't wait for football season to be over, I feel about it like you do winter and hunting put together! Do you have one of those quotes about "when I die bury me out in the woods" or whatever "so my husband will come visit me" ? I probably saw it at YOUR house! ;)
My dad brought us some Elk meat when they were down last month and I was cooking dinner when the Mother of the Bride of the cake I had to make for this weekend dropped by... I could tell she wanted to throw up a little. :) Only us WY chic's can appreciate a little wild game I guess.

Stacey said...

I agree that you jumped into winter...I was sad that there were no pretty leaves or colors when I was there this week. Tony never hunted, so I don't feel your pain...but glad Kyle got his elk!!

Chelsea Tippetts said...

That should be Kyle's halloween outfit, very authentic :) I hope for your sake that hunting will be over will soon! The girls looks so cute in their bulldog stuff too!

Anonymous said...

I just had to comment because I agree with you 100%. I hate winter and hunting. Too bad our husbands love it so much!!
You are a great writer..I love to read your post. Thanks for sharing!

Kim said...

So I'm totally blog stalking you but I just wanted to say I know the feeling and I think my husband has been stealing yours to help him hunt! Cleve is really into pheasant hunting so I'm sure he'll invite Kyle every day from Saturday until December 31st.